Tuesday 28 April 2015

The Girl and Her Teddy Bears - Review

This bear has been staring at me for weeks. It has haunted my thoughts.
And so, finally, I bring myself to play this game that looks too cute.

Honestly, The Girl and Her Teddy Bears by The Shy Guys is hard for me to write about now, days after the fact. I'll be up front, and say that this wasn't my kind of game. I didn't quite understand what the developers were going for. So instead, here are some thoughts I scribbled down while playing. But first, the scores.

CONCEPT: 2/5 - "After You" - following directions from a stupid stuffed toy.
CONTROLS: 3/5 - Why is the mouse present for the first 2 levels? Confusing. What is
                               the mouse for? WHY! Frustrated that you're not told how to play.
                               INFINITE JUMPING!
STORY: 3/5 - (There's only one bear.)
GRAPHICS: 5/5 - Beautifully done, nice details and colour scheme. Looks great, even if
                              it weren't done in 48 hours. Excellent polish.
SOUND: 3/5 - End theme is sad and bugs me (for some reason). Reminiscent of
                        Teardrop by Massive Attack.
QUIRKINESS: 3/5 - Infinite jumps, no consequences, no losing... all very strange.
ENJOYABILITY: 1/5 - No! What? No!

FINAL SCORE: 20 GOATS

Now... I realize this entire game was completed in 48 hours. So most of my comments are going to come off very harsh (or they already have). I apologize in advance. What follows are my stream-of-consciousness notes I jotted down while playing.

1st Playthrough: 303 timer
WHAT? What is the timer for? You can't do any wrong. It's just so preschool... IF that's what you're going for - a simple cute game for toddlers and 4 year-olds - you've achieved it... But it doesn't seem to have RULES. OR CONSEQUENCES!

2nd Playthrough: 138 timer
I did it faster but I still don't understand it...

To wrap things up, I'm going to say that sometimes, what the developer wants to achieve doesn't get achieved in 48 hours. Perhaps time ran out, code was left undone. Perhaps they only had a half-baked idea. I'm really not sure. Either way, in my opinion, The Girl and Her Teddy Bears fails to be a game, on the solitary fact that there are no apparent consequences, nor "win" conditions - at least they aren't explained to you within the "game" itself. This certainly wasn't for me, but perhaps, someone will like it. It is extremely cute, after all.





No comments:

Post a Comment